Due to the outbreak of the COVID-19 in India, various examinations have been postponed until any further notice. Few of the State Boards have decided to promote students of class 1 to 9 to the next academic year without conducting examinations. Apart from school level examinations, various Entrance level and University level examinations have also been delayed due to this pandemic. The Education system in the country is heavily impacted due to this current situation.
- HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ has directed to the heads of 23 IITs through a video conference to ensure that placements of the students should not be affected due to this pandemic. He also stated that special Placement Drives are to be hold for students affected by cancelled job offers. He appealed to the recruiters not to withdraw the job offers given to students in the Campus Placement Drives due to the Economic downfall in this pandemic outbreak.
- The placement head , Cheeda Srinivas, of a very prestigious institute of Hyderabad, the ICFAI Business School has stated to The Hindu Business Lines that a total of 1170 students have passed this year. Out of these, 1060 have been placed. The remaining 110 are still waiting to get placed. He stated that five companies have started the hiring process through Skype.
- Regarding admissions in universities also, various universities across the globe have cancelled the same until further notice. MIT, Harvard, Stanford, Princeton, Oxford, Cambridge are the few ones to name who have cancelled their on-campus admissions.
- The Central Board of Secondary Education has stated that only major examinations will be conducted, the ones which would be necessary for College Admissions. For class 10 students, the situation is still not much tensed since the subjects which got delayed were two Elective papers-Information and Communication Technology , Computer Applications.
- CBSE stated that “It may be noted that the Board will conduct examinations for only main subjects that will be required for promotion and maybe crucial for admissions in higher educational institutions. For the rest of the subjects, the Board will not hold examinations; the instructions for marking/assessment in all such cases shall be separately issued by the Board”.
- Meanwhile, the University Grants Commission has formed a seven-member committee to avoid any delay of admissions and ensure that academic session of 2020-2021 starts soon.
- The next big casualty of Corona Virus outbreak will be the Campus Placement Drive.
- Final year students who are already placed are in fear of losing their jobs. Experts say that companies with a head-count of 1 to 2 lakhs are most likely withdraw their offer-letters, since they will be heavily impacted after this pandemic. If not all, a huge percentage of offer-letters are going to delayed, or worst cancelled because of the Economic slowdown of the country.
- Students who were awaiting to be placed in companies in the On- Campus Placement Drives are not sure if the Drives would be conducted at all. If one checks the stocks of most of the Service based companies of last one month, it can be clearly seen that the graph has fallen steeply by nearly 50%. The company value has equaled to its half, which means they cannot hire more people now at-least for 3-4 months or until the situation gets better.
411 total views, 1 views today