The lockdown of India, confining the 1.3 billion residents to their homes is stated as the largest exercise of motion. On keeping an eye on the rapid spread of novel coronavirus or Covid-19 all across the world, this lockdown of India was a necessary preventive measure.
The lockdown although is a preventive measure for controlling the wide spread of the virus as people are refrained from going out, avoid crowds and stay back at their homes implementing quarantine; yet it is difficult for a country like us where quite a good number of the urban population resides in the slums. Maharashtra has the highest percentile count of the total population of slums and so high is the number of coronavirus infected cases.
- On Thursday(March 26,2020) the central Government announced the first instalment of a fiscal relief package, worth Rs 170,000 crore, to protect the weaker sections of the society from the economic fallout of Covid-19 in the country.
- The Reserve Bank of India also joined the big fight with a host of measures aimed at minimizing the damage from Covid-19.
- Over 80 crore poor ration card holders will each get 5 kg of wheat or rice and one kg of preferred pulses free of cost every month for the next three months.
- 8.69 crore farmers of the country to be immediately benefited through Direct cash transfers.
- Installment of Rs 2000 in the first week of April is to be transferred to each.
FALL IN ECONOMY AND EXPORT BUSSINESS:
- Moody’s Investors Service on Friday slashed its estimate of India’s GDP growth during 2020 calendar year to 2.5 per cent.
- The earlier estimation was of 5.3 per cent.
- The Coronavirus pandemic will cause unprecedented shock to the global economy.
- In its Global Macro Outlook 2020-21, Moody’s said India is likely to see a sharp fall in incomes at the estimated 2.5 per cent growth rate, further weighing on domestic demand and the pace of recovery in 2021.
- Rice mills across the country almost came to a grinding halt despite milling being exempted under essential services.
- The lockdown to check Covid-19 spread kept workers from reaching the factories.
- Rice exports from India fell 35% in the first three quarters of this financial year.
IMPACT ON TRAVEL:
- Railway cancels all passenger trains, interstate buses and metros have been shut till the March 31,2020. Only goods trains will run from March 22 midnight till March 31 midnight, says the Indian Railways. However after the second addressing on March 24,2020 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi where he announced the 21 days lockdown, it is most likely that the cease on the above may be extended.
- Government also bans all passenger flights from March 25,2020 as the aviation and travel sector has been the worst hit by the Covid-19 outbreak.
- The announcement of ban on international flights has been expended to April 15,2020 occurred also on Thursday, March 25,2020.
174 total views, 1 views today